Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kids Book Club


Stephan has decided that I need internet evidence of our kids' book club so that when it becomes a national phenomenon, I get to go on Oprah or something. Stephan has a lot of weird versions of the future where I go on Oprah. Anyway, it does seem like it's about time that I did a post on children's book club. I don't remember how R and I came up with this--R was this your idea? where did we get this idea from?--but it is incredibly fun. It's pretty much your standard book club, except that you read a kid's book instead of adult books. The title is misleading; there are no kids at kids' book club. Anyway, our ranks have grown from 3 to 7, which isn't bad. We have a very nice group. When A hosted the City of Ember, book club got even better because A came up with the ingenious idea of making food themed to the book. In that case it was The City of Ember, and she provided canned pineapple and potatoes and something else I can't recall. This has been my favorite book club innovation, not least because we got to eat Tostino's pizza bites when we read Coraline. Now there is also a private wiki, care of A as well. It's pretty much great. I highly recommend that you start your own children's book club.

We have read:
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter