Sunday, September 30, 2007

Things I Love

Jason Kottke is back.
Jason Kottke went on paternity leave when his son Ollie was born. My internet existence was much less satisfying the entire time he was gone. He's quickly made up for his absence. www.kottke.org

Louis-LĂ©opold Boilly.
This painting is at the National Gallery of Art on the mall in DC. Somehow in all my trips to DC I had never been there. I saw a lot of nice things, but this painting really struck my fancy for some reason. I like that it's about illicit dealings at the market, and I also like that even though it is technically 'fine art' that there's a little bit of folk art in there. But most of all I love the color, which is probably hard to see here. I saw another Boilly at Boston's MFA, and that too is just gorgeous. The colors just glow.


This picture by Weegee.


Paul Krugman started a blog.
I love Paul Krugman. I think he's right about everything. He's also our wolf in sheep's clothing--an economist from the left.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/

Heather on ANTM.
I have what I would consider an ameteur's interest in autism. (By the way I think Errol Morris's piece on the autistic woman who has helped design more humane slaughterhouses is one of my favorite documentary works of all time.) So it's been interesting to see that combined with my love of America's Next Top Model. Heather is from Indiana, she's gorgeous, she's doing this despite or perhaps because she has Asperger's, all of which makes her one of my all time favorite top model candidates. Alan Sepinwall says it better here: http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2007/09/its-not-easy-being-green.html

Mad Men.
Oh man. This show was made for me. Pink collar work, the feminine mystique, beats, Jews, marriage, fashion in postwar US. My Tivo skipped the hobo episode and I almost wept. It may become my first ever purchase on Itunes.


Images from the National Gallery of Art website, the AMC website, and http://www.amber-online.com/exhibitions/weegee-collection/exhibits/lovers (c/o kottke). Coming soon: a multi-post series on family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Torei said...

(Rachel Comment)
What channel is Mad Men on and when does it play? I am also slightly interested in this season's ANTM, mainly because Tyra is crazy and her explanation of girls this year is that they are attractive in odd ways. Also, Tyra kind of looks like a blow up doll.
Autism and asperger's syndrome are both highly interesting to me as well, especially the emotional detachment. There is this game we sell at work for autistic children which is basically a bunch of faces and the kids try to guess what (obvious) feeling the people pictured are expressing. It's bizarro and fascinating.

1:51 PM  
Blogger ant said...

Mad Men is on AMC, but you can buy episodes on itunes. Sad it's not on network and that Stephan and I didn't save them.

That game blows my mind.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter