Sunday, September 17, 2006

Movies in Maryland

I stayed with my friend Q and his girlfriend R (and now my friend R) while in DC (actually Maryland). It was a bit of a movie marathon. My favorites were:
Black Orpheus. Wow. This is the Orpheus myth set during Carnivale in Rio. I couldn't remember which myth that was when the movie started, though it's more than clear by the end. The music and visuals were awesome, and its mythic strain made it bizarrely surreal toward the end, especially considering how earthy it was up to that point. It was also way more open about sex than I expected, being used to American films from 1959. Very very good.
My other favorite was the Abominable Dr. Phibes. First of all, Joseph Cotten was in this movie. I fucking love Joseph Cotten. Ever since Shadow of a Doubt, though he's also great in Citizen Kane, Walk Softly Stranger, Love Letters, what I've seen of Magnificent Ambersons, and this. Plus I'm an anglophile. And finally, this is more or less a kooky detective story. You should definitely check it out if any of this appeals to you because it's pretty damn awesome.

I also loved the fashion in both movies. I pulled a picture from Dr. Phibes in particular that hopefully shows this. This girl wears amazing outfits the whole movies. And I loved Eurydice's viriginal but hot outfits and hair (and not quite virginal behavior). Yay for movies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter