Tuesday, January 31, 2006

They're rubber, I'm glue

So today I spoke with my two friends on opposite sides of the polar spectrum. We somewhat kiddingly call my friend T a Stalinist, because he does think the revolution should be imposed from above, and R is in the Navy and votes GOP. T and I generally agree on all things non-revolution from above related (ie we're both lefty on most to all issues), but today I put my foot down on his perpetual hope that things will get better politically with the next scandal. No dude. No one cares. They don't care about wire-tapping, they don't care about Abramoff, they don't care no one will give up the White House Katrina papers, they don't care about our apparent coup in Haiti, they don't care about Alito. They don't care. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but at this point I have to tell myself it's true because there have been too many other scandals that have just sort of floated by (WMD, Valerie Plame or Wilson, federal intervention about Shiavo, torture, Harriet Miers, Katrina itself, a really wretched economy). As he said, it's Reagan-esque. Nothing sticks to him.

That said, I make it my mission to change R's mind on what I find the most egregious stuff. I recently sent him the NYT editorial about wire-tapping. He called me to say he agreed with me on wire-tapping, which always makes me feel a little better. I don't think R's a real GOP man, but he's still a source of hope in this world. So is any negative article in the Indy Star. Maybe the tide will turn this time. But probably not. It's really better not to get my hopes up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter