Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Week in Review


News
There's the bad. Unemployment continues to go up. Another tragic shooting spree. But there's also the good. Iowa has legalized same sex marriage, which is good for all the obvious reasons. But it is also good because it was unanimous and even more so because "there is no requirement that people seeking marriage licenses prove they live in Iowa, so the doors will be open to same-sex couples from other states." NYT.

Culture
I saw three great movies recently. 1) In Bruges. I had heard this was great, but still had low expectations. I really enjoyed it though. Brendan Gleeson is so winning. And between this and the New World, I might have to like Colin Farrell. 2) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). I heard this really interesting Fresh Air about the Invasion of the Body Snatchers medical condition, called Capgras Delusion. Basically, your emotional nodes of the brain are damaged, such that you visually recognize a person as your friend or family member, but your brain can no longer activates the emotional reaction you normally associate with them. Hence your impression that someone is impersonating them. There's also a compelling historiographical argument now that Cold War anxiety is notable for its fixation on the threat from within, which Invasion also fits perfectly. 3)And finally, the Good Fairy, my favorite of the three. I know this movie is cheesy, but I loved it. I think Preston Sturges + William Wyler has to be the best combination ever.

Miscellanie
I love these sheep and the people/dogs that shepherd them. Also, right now The Shaft is playing on Sci Fi, featuring Naomi Watts before she was famous and a killer dolphin elevator AND Love's Enduring Promise is playing on the Hallmark Channel, featuring Katherine Heigl and January Jones before they were famous and some bonnets. This is flattering for no one.

Upcoming
Slumber Party 09.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter