Thursday, July 10, 2008

Top 5 TV Shows to Teach an Alien about Earth


I should note, before I begin this list, that I am not actually listing any of these top 5's in any particular order. #1 is not #1, etc. Here goes, top 5 list number 3.

1. The Wire. The Wire both captures contemporary American politics and transcends time with Shakespearean-level tragedy, all in one spell-binding package. I haven't watched seasons 4 or 5 yet, but watching seasons 1-3 was enough to cement this as one of the best shows ever.

2. Bewitched. This is my dark horse. There are better portrayals of family, there are better shows from the 60s and 70s, and there's probably better politics out there. This spot should go to MASH. But you know what? I've only watched a few episodes of MASH. I really really loved this show about a witch, her husband, and his mother-in-law and so did my mom and we watched it together. And since this is my list rather than an actual critical list, this goes to Bewitched.

3. The Twilight Zone. There's been a lot of scifi on tv, and I've loved a lot of it, but it all started here. TZ did it right, handling the issues that just weren't clear unless they were treated in alternative realities, dreams, dystopic futures, or in a world where everyone but you had a pig face. I know it's trite by now, but it's ubiquitous for a reason.

4. The Simpsons. I almost gave this spot to Seinfeld, but I just can't. Simpsons does everything. It hits every tone. Satirical. Heartwarming. Slapstick-y. It hits every issue. Community. Family. Working. Disco.

5. Sesame Street. I have to balance the Wire out with a little hope. I don't want the aliens to think it's all bad down here. The image is available here as a 5 ft by 8 ft mural.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Torei said...

*R Comment*
I like these top 5 lists! Go Ant! I really like the loneliness list, too!! Comparing Veronica Mars to Deadwood is pretty great.

5:40 AM  
Blogger ant said...

Thanks Mugg. We'll see how long they last :)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter