Sunday, December 17, 2006

Hannukah V

It is now the third night of Hannkah. Yay! It's been very nice so far. Some candle-lighting. Some presents (to be seen later). Some latkes.

Which brings me to the issue of Hannukah food. Hannukah food in my family is generally synonymous with Jewish food. My favorites include:

1) Latkes. These are the infamous potato pancakes. My favorite way to eat them is with apple sauce. They are very delicious.

2) Brisket. This is basically very tender, ketchup-y, onion-y beef. I'm not quite sure why but it's--you guessed it--delicious.

3) Kugel. There are sweet and savory varieties of kugel, which is an egg/noodle casserole more or less. The sweet kind is very good with cinnamon, etc, but my family goes for the savory more often. I really like both.

4) Matza ball soup. This is chicken noodle soup with balls of matza dough in it. AKA Jewish penicilin.

5) Fried matza. This is pieces of matza broken up, soaked in egg, and then cooked. It's kind of like Jewish french toast, but savory. I've tried to make this myself and failed miserably because I didn't let the matza soak in egg long enough. Also, it's better if you cover the bowl the matza soaks in.

Okay, that's it for Jewish food. Jewish gambling next!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter