Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Hannukah IV

As I mentioned, Hannukah shouldn't be a major holiday, but is, partly due to Christmas. Similarly, Hannukah shouldn't involve gifts, but does, partly due to Christmas. Yay! Anyway, the way it has worked out is that most families give a gift every night for the eight days. Half-Jewish kids like me got eight days of Hannukah gifts and Xmas gifts. We are spoiled.

When I was a kid, my mom made these decorations that were basically life-size wood cutouts of my brother's and my own head and shoulders. Then she attached felt as 'clothes' with eight pockets on each. And then there was a little present in each one. It was basically a Hannukah stocking.

At least one of the presents in the pockets each year was Hannukah gelt. Gelt is a standard Hannukah gift. It's basically chocolate discs wrapped in gold foil so that they look like coins. There's a Jewish money-grubbing joke in there somewhere. Yum.....delicious anti-semitism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter