Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Potpourri


This may be the end of my November post-everyday-streak. Tonight I'm going home for Thanksgiving. Beds are scarce, much less computer time. I will do my best. I'll be super sad if I fail. Anyway, I decided today would be a catalogue of not fully formed posts:

*I got my hair cut yesterday. I'm not sure if I like it yet, since she straigtened it and my hair will not be straight until I get it cut again. Right now it might be a little too 80s rock goddess. I just picked a place near me, and it turned out to be punk/goth/Bettie Page which is not quite me. Hopefully I like my hair after I wash it later.

*I went to the DIY Trunk Show over the weekend. It was much smaller than it was a couple years ago, which was disappointing. But I did get to see someone spin yarn from her own sheep's wool. This particular wool was natural--ie dark brown with little streaks of white. I don't know why I never realized this but I guess sheep go gray like people. Isn't that funny? I did manage to buy some very nice stationary. I will post that later.

*This weekend we also attended a toy party at Rotofugi. They had a raffle and we ended up winning a Naal. You can see him on the Rotofugi site. One of my greatest talents is winning raffles. Obviously I can take no credit for this. But in my life, I've won a Chili's gift certificate, a water bottle, Kitchenaid pots and pans and a set of very nice knives, a Sampler, and now this toy. It's not that I go out of my way to enter raffles either. I very much appreciate this skill from the raffle gods and hope they continue to bestow it on me.

*And finally I am sad to hear about Robert Altman's death yesterday. I love Prairie Home Companion, Gosford Park, and Mash, though I'm embarassed to say the only other Altman films I've seen are Popeye (which I can't remember) and The Company (which I hated). I think Prairie Home Companion was a perfect cap to his career: quiet, aware, and bittersweet. And I loved the penguin joke. It still makes me smile to think of it, in part because of the weight Altman gave it.

Two penguins are standing on an ice floe. The first penguin says, you look like you're wearing a tuxedo. The second penguin says, what makes you think I'm not?

image courtesy of http://www.aad.gov.au/asset/screens/2005/1024x768/4-B4-Adelie-Penguin.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter