Wednesday, January 07, 2009

False advertising



I've noticed two absurd ad campaigns recently.
1. The new Pepsi logo seems to be deliberately trying to steal Obama's thunder. See Thomas Frank for Pepsi's ingenious appropriation of culture in the past.

2. The eharmony.com ads purport to be "true." Not that I expected them to be actually true, but the illusion is a little harder to maintain when you contradict your own story in two different versions of the same commercial. In the first version, Tanyalee says that she was too busy owning a store to date. See the first clip below. In the second version, Tanyalee claims she and Josh opened her store together. And then they show footage of the same store. See the second clip below. In theory there could be TWO stores, but then show different footage. eharmony is a horrible corporation anyway, for being so fucking homophobic.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Torei said...

*R Comment*

Whoa! Nice detective work! I've never used eharmony.com and I don't drink pop, but yet I'm still outraged. Your clear evidence wins me over.

6:45 AM  
Blogger ant said...

Ummm, this is apparently rather blatant on Pepsi's part.

http://dcist.com/2009/01/will_republicans_still_drink_pepsi.php

1:08 PM  
Blogger Joshua and Tanyalee said...

well, that is because I owned my own store before I met Joshua, then sold it, moved from CA to MO in 06, and in dec 07 we opened my 2nd store together... but yes i can see how that sounds strange, they cut a lot of things we said out of the commercial. but it was not false adv. it was just not showing you all the info.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter