Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Mary Tyler Moore Show


Somehow, in all my years of watching Nick at Nite, I never watched the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I liked MTM in the Dick Van Dyke show, but eh, I didn't love that show anyway. Since then I realized that MTM is right up my alley--workplace and gender and relationship politics in the 70s. It even shows up in one of my favorite academic books, To Have and To Hold. Anyway, they've now invented Hulu, and today I watched the first episode of the show. I Loved it. First, there was this great interview scene where MTM and Ed Asner go back and forth about inappropriate questions during an interview--more screwball than sitcom. And there's an equally hilarious later scene where Ed Asner shows up at MTM's apartment drunk, which tickled me when it didn't go the direction I thought it was going to. The moral of the story is that MTM is pretty irresistible, and Ed Asner fucking rocks. Those two alone will keep me around.

I don't have a great feel yet for the rest of the cast. The other guys at the office barely got scenes, and MTM's friends are still a bit non-descript. Well MTM and Rhoda aren't even friends yet, but I know from Romy and Michele's High School Reunion that they become friends. I'm hoping they're as great as the other characters, but even if they're not, it's still all worth it. And guess what? the clothes kind of rock too. Go watch it on Hulu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter