Thursday, November 29, 2007

Things of the Week

Here are a few things I'm loving lately:

1) Sci fi revival: This isn't a revival in any broader social sense, but I personally have rediscovered scifi--the good and the bad. I've actually been on a Roswell kick for some time, but now Stephan and I have finally started watching Battlestar Gallactica, which is awesome.

2) Knitting. I learned how to knit in the round. Yay! I literally have NO desire to knit when it's warm, but the second it's cold I pick it up again. Last time I was knitting, my jerk friend quoted that line from 30 Rock where Alec Baldwin says to Tina Fey upon meeting her: "Sure, I gotcha. New York, third-wave feminist, college-educated, single and pretending to be happy about it, overscheduled, undersexed . . . You buy any magazine that says 'healthy body image' on the cover, and every two years you take up knitting for a week."

3) Brandy with apple cider. Ummm, I have very low tolerance for alcohol, and this definitely knocks me on my butt, but other than looking forward to wearing my new downy hat from Target, it's the only reason I'm glad it's winter.

4) Ricky Gervais podcast returns. Uhh, these are hilarious. Carl is a mad fucking genius.

5) The Girl Scouts. I've really been wanting to get back involved with the Girl Scouts recently. I was in a troop for 8 or 9 years and loved it. And I appreciate that they're inclusive and progressive in a way that the Boy Scouts are not. If I have a less hectic schedule next year, I hope to return to that world in some capacity or another. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/us/28girlscout.html?em&ex=1196485200&en=5418e1a600b1e816&ei=5087%0A

6) Going to the movies. When don't I love this? But over Thanksgiving, I went to three movies, which was decadent and fun and made me miss the big screen a lot. It helped that the one not-so-good movie had Stephan's name in the credits and the other two were I'm Not There and No Country for Old Men. I loved I'm Not There; it was amazing, full of great little pieces strung together into the funniest most profound deliberately evocative of Behind the Music episode ever. It just makes me look forward all the more to several movies coming out soon including, I Am Legend, the Golden Compass, Juno, and There Will Be Blood since it reminds me that movies can be so good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Torei said...

*Rachel Comment*

Hello Ant!
Glad you are enjoying Battlestar. I have a definite love/love to mock relationship with that show.

Juno!! I want to see Juno!!^^

8:44 AM  
Blogger ant said...

hee! I love BG. We mock it on occasion but mostly just dork out. Well I should speak for myself.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter