Monday, January 29, 2007

Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre was the first legitimate novel I read, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. It is creepy and romantic, and even today I aspire to Jane's honesty, wit, and independence. I still reread it often, from the original copy I had back then even though it is falling apart. This top image from pbs.org is in fact the image on the cover of that copy. These past two weeks PBS has aired a mini series of Jane Eyre, and it is so good. I could watch it a million times. I want to keep it on the tivo forever. There's a great review of it in the New York Times as well. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D07E7DF1E30F93AA25752C0A9619C8B63
I really appreciate this review; it acknowledges the feminist and postcolonial critiques of the novel while conceding that the novel is so good the miniseries did not need to improve upon it. And that's true. It doesn't get any better than Jane Eyre. See also, http://www.romancingthetome.blogspot.com/ for some who love it as much as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter