Monday, October 30, 2006

Bingham Bears


From 1985 to 1992 I attended Indianapolis Public School 84, also known as Joseph Bingham Elementary School. Marilyn Quayle, Dan Quayle's better smarter half which aint saying much, is an alum. And while we're on GOP politicians who attended IPS84, we also have DICK LUGAR. Okay, I have to admit here that Dick Lugar is one of the few Republican politicians I can stand to look at much less vote for (since he ran unopposed in this election, I managed to vote for him on my absentee ballot this morning). But I appreciate that he is one of the few GOP who doesn't always toe the party line. I like that he tried to deal with suburbanization way back in the 70s, even if he didn't really pull it off. And I like that he's willing to criticize the Bush administration's handling of Iraq, even if he's supportive overall. Weak praise I know, but it's a lot coming from me.

School 84, on the other hand, I can praise endlessly. 1) I learned how to graph sentences. 2) I got Spanish lessons everyday from 1st grade to 6th. 3) My 6th grade and gym teachers had a fairly public Boston marriage going on. The 6th grade teacher loved me, the gym teacher hated me, just as it should have been. 4) I walked to school. 5) We could go home for lunch. 6) The building, as you can see above, was gorgeous. And only slightly falling apart. 7) I knew the words to "Lift Every Voice and Sing" from 1st grade on. 8) I received an amazing amazing education. All that said, there were problems, namely involving bussing. But I still hold it very dear. Yay Joseph Bingham.

1 Comments:

Blogger ant said...

I am sad Stephan doesn't know Tagalog. It's one thing to learn in school but being legitimately bilingual is something I've always been envious of. That said, I do really appreciate my early Spanish education. And that said, your French trip to McD's sounds awesome and funny even if not worthwhile.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter