Monday, April 17, 2006

Degrassi: The Next Generation

So Degrassi is BACK on the N. Now. I am not Canadian. I am not a pregnant teenager. I am not a teenager. As a teenager, I was not stalked on the internet. I'm not bipolar. I'm not gay. I'm not a battered girlfriend. My mom wasn't a pregnant teenager. I don't have parents who are alcoholics or absent. What I'm saying is I don't love this show because I can relate. But. I do love this show. It's awesome. Do Canadians (Jungle Navigator I'm talking to you here) think less of me for loving it? Are they repulsed by the blatant evidence of my Canadian fever? I don't care. Degrassi is awesome.

The first two episodes of this season were pretty good. I liked that the birth of Liberty and JT's baby was the B story, not because I hate these characters or that storyline, but because I think that it's appropriately respectful to keep it low key. We went through the drama when they hid the pregnancy/dealt drugs to provide for the baby/decided to give the baby up. I think the quiet reference allowed them to keep their dignity. And yes I know these are fictional characters. I also felt that the Paige/Alex thing was handled well. Yeah, we already had a coming out story, etc, but it was interesting to see Paige deal with losing her identity as the straight kid in the family. I'm upset about Snake. And I'm happy they're letting Craig leave with minor Ellie/Manny drama. That said, what the fuck are they making Manny wear lately? Slutty and dowdy. How do they manage that?

I think this is the part where I talk about my favorite characters. Okay, first I miss Shaun and Terri A LOT. They were two of my very very favorites. I have a soft spot for Manny because she's Filipina. And I love Ellie and Emma. I know Emma's lame; shut up.

And in fact I OWN tiny fimo beads of these characters as fetuses. Along with a couple Ricks. Please go support Fetopia (http://www.fetopia.net/signature/celebrity.html). People who create things this awesome deserve to be rich and famous. Look how awesome:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter