Saturday, February 02, 2008

Swimming


So today I noticed and coveted the swimming print in the background of this image from Black Eiffel's blog. For some reason I love vintage pool and beach shots. I collect postcards, new and old, and swimming is one of my favorite vintage themes. I think it's in part because pools back then were so often huge and majestic, with a scale that demands some sort of Esther Williams activity. When I was a kid, my family belonged to a "club" in Indianapolis called The Riviera, aka Rivi. It was the de facto neighborhood pool for parents willing to give into kids' begging to belong to a silly club rather than just go to the free public pool. It was built in the 30s, it was huge, it had slides and high dives, it had these great decks all along the side to tan on, and it was amazing. You can't tell from the black and white image here, but at least you can tell how uber-fun it was.

Anyway, while writing this post, I decided I should include the image at the bottom of the post. I had found this online ages ago and even though it's another of my favorites, I had lost any reference information or even where it came from. But it fits the theme right? And then I looked closer and realized it was the same image as the one framed in the Black Eiffel post. For some reason, this makes me so excited. Oh man, I'm about to beg Black Eiffel for some info. You rock Black Eiffel! (Actually, this is true. Black Eiffel is another of my favorite blogs. Maybe I should finally make a blog roll).

2 Comments:

Blogger karisa said...

Hi there, this is Karisa (from the Black Eiffel post). I actually saw an original a few years back-- it's about 15'x15'! Incredible. You can order it online-- I think that posters.com has it. It's called "the Sutro Bath" and is a real place in San Francisco. I heard it smelled horrible inside because all the bathings suits were made from wool!

Anyway, there's some info. I hope you can find it-- it's an amazing print. If you look closely you'll notice that the print was cut in half and pasted back together-- so one little man's arm was cut off.

This is probably more information that you were looking for...

Best of luck to you!

9:37 AM  
Blogger ant said...

Oh wow, thank you so much! Not even close to too much info--I love it all. I found it on posters.com and may have to indulge in it soon. Thanks again!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counter